Thursday, January 6, 2011

Missing Link

Today, while doing dishes, I cracked a glass. It didn't break, but I heard the characteristic sound of breaking glass, and then I watched a long crack appear down the side.
I had to throw it away. Well, on to happier things:

We are, I have to admit, by now a little bit tired of eating turkey.

Apart from that there is not much going on right now. My wife's working her ass off, day and night, all the time, all day and all of the night so to speak, healthy or sick, storm or no storm. And if she is not at work, she's on call.
Whee.
How does she do that I don't know. She just does.

Me myself works nine to five pretty much monday to friday, there's not much going on at the supermarket, mostly "spring" cleaning (As if january could ever be considered spring, on top of that in a country where spring effectively starts in late may or so. Then again, if it's minus three these weird Nationals here think it's summer and break out their flip flops.)
The cleaning consists mainly of rediscovering old merchandise in places you'd never suspect and making sure some fools still spend money on it.
I mean costumers.

Remember I mentioned all that wood a while back? All those nicely cut pieces of wood, if I recall correctly over one year I had collected about 7 long boards (maybe 1,3 meters each), 6 medium boards (about a meter each) and several short ones, 70 cm each perhaps.
I was also ready now to take them all home, because I felt I had almost enough to build a nice fine dog house for that friendly black dog that walks with me to work every morning. His name, by the way, supposedly is Shaka, but I don't find that name satisfactory, so I call him Black Dog.
Or Sneezy (because he sneezes sometimes). For a while, when he had been hit by a car or something, and he walked funny, I called him Limpy.
But that is beside the point; Last monday at 8:45 in AM I came to work and discovered all my wood was gone, appearantly somebody had gotten rid of it, the place where I had stored it was empty, the wood was gone, the wood was gone, all gone, baby, gone.
For a long moment there (until about maybe noon the next day) I felt my heart was just like that glass I cracked in the sink today.

I also discovered that the person most likely responsible as of late has his own blog.
For those interested: click here.

And since I am linking pages right now, for those who would like to more about the landscape in certain communities, and those who are interested in eating soup, you might want to check out this blog written by a person who may or may not have witnessed the tragic disappearance of my beloved wood collection, a person by the way, who also most of the time tries to laugh at my jokes (which I find very nice and friendly, that's a good character trait). Please feel free to click here.
The fireworks pictured there seem to be just the ones I totally missed out on this year for reasons of being asleep.

Another thing: For the new year and all the rest of my future I have decided to try to concentrate on the present more. The past, as well as the future after all exist only through thinking in our minds and both are therefore non-existent. So why divide my attention equally among the three? I will consciously try to allow 2 thirds of my attention to the present from now on, and have yesterday and tomorrow share the remaining 33 percent among them.

How to achieve this, I don't have a masterplan. Participate in things even though you have to get up early next morning? Say yes to going into the wilderness even though the mere thought of outside makes you freeze with cold?
Any helpful hints are appreciated.

I will now lean back and enjoy listening to Ennio Morricone, at the moment "Le Marginal".

4 comments:

Richie Rich said...

Yes it was me that threw out you wood pile. you are exactly right, it was sitting in the window for over a year!!!! it was becoming a fire hazard.
If only you wood have taken it home sooner you wood not feel so sad about the wood being dumped. I wood not loose any sleep over it, I wood start all over again. I noticed you already collected one piece of wood again... Must go listen to a song that goes kinda like this... Oh wooden it be nice.... Beatles???

Mikisew said...

At recess one day at school I noticed a kindergarten student trying to play with a dog. Naturally, I was concerned, as dogs can be unpredictable amongst crowds of small, enthusiastic children.

My student was yelling, "Walk! Sit! Walk! Sit!" and pressing the dog's bum to the ground.

Turned out the dog's name was Walk. Walk the Dog. I like it.

Richie Rich said...

I want you to go to my Blog and follow the directions I given you to make "Mom's Spicy Choclate cake for Hendrik to make" and bring me a piece to work when you are done! TY

Anonymous said...

ur wood was thrown out in the "carpetspikes" LMFAO!i was in tears! just had to review ur blog. intersting life u live here in our BF country.