Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bunnyrabbit

According to our culture's calendar it is the new year now. What's the name of the band again:"So this is the new year, and I don't feel any different..."
One of those Indie bands, I think. Can't remember which one, though. Any help?

I myself do feel different now, but that is only because I did feel sick on last year's last day, in fact I spend most of it sleeping. And when I finally woke up it was this year's first day already, 11 o' clock.
Oh God, I missed all of the fireworks!!

Since this is the first post of this new year (the year of the rabbit, some say, therefore much better than last year, of course), it is also time to take inventory. What was Christmas good for this time?
Let's see what I got:

- a fuckload of Ferrero Rocher. (1 giant 48pack, 2 16packs, 1 mixed 8Rocher/6Garden (which is Raffaello, to all you Europeans)/6DarkRocher (which actually go by a different name, but they used such a fucked up scripture font on the label that I find myself unable to read it), 1 mixed 8 of each pack (or so)
- 1 external HD 1 TB for backup purposes
- 1 M-Audio Fasttrack Recording Device, which actually comes with a free version of ProTools (I always wanted to try that), and which enables me to record two input channels at the same time through a USB port (goodbye windows-asshole-motherfucking-microphone-input-level-automatic-userfriendly-fucker-upper); I haven't tried it out yet, but I will do so soonish
- several cookbooks, a.o. one big fucking Harrowsmith 3-in-1 super all editions not available anymore super-duper cookbook with all the standard and non-standard recipes you may ever need; also one cookbook for fast veggie dishes, which is nice (maybe this one will be able to finally give me the answer to the question: where can I find an adequate vegetarian substitute for meat? - On the other hand, maybe it is me who is asking the wrong question.)
- several German books, a.o. Die Vermessung der Welt (Kehlmann), Wir hatten mal ein Kind (Fallada), Der Turm (Tellkamp) and Garou (Swann)
- several English books, a.o. two Jack Londons and three John Sandfords
- 1 Sandisk SansaClip+ 8GB mp3 player (imho the one and only real alternative to an ipod nano)
- lots of Christmas candy and goodies from both sides of the Atlantic, including Stollen, Lebkuchen, Toblerone, Mercy (...daß es dich gibt), Kinder Schokolade and various other chocolates

I would like to thank you. Thank you, Santa Claus.

I also read two books this holiday season which I found very interesting and would like to recommend to everybody (for more information, clicking the titles will take you to Amazon):

Sex at Dawn (Ryan, Jethá), which explores the prehistoric origins of human sexuality, and The Fall (Steve Taylor), which actually suggests very convincingly that it is not human nature to make war, oppress women, destroy nature etc... We don't have to be evil!

What a relief.

I'd like to end this post with a little joke I read in a book the other day:

A guy comes home and finds his girlfriend outside the door, with her bags packed, all ready to go. "What's going on?" he asks.
"I'm leaving you!" she says.
"Why? This morning everything was alright! What's wrong?"
"Well, " she says, "I heard you were a pedophile."
"Pedophile?" he replies, "isn't that an awfully big word for an eight-year-old?"

No comments: