Friday, March 5, 2010

Annual Festival Continued

I'm back from singing and square dancing! I've witnessed the most interesting things: A guy with a long white beard got a prize for growing it, several woman were sporting awesome mullets, the kind that is nice and short and helmet-like on the front half of the skull, perhaps from the nose to the ear, and then the hair on the back falls down long and longer, all the way down to the belt.
I saw children beat themselves up with inflatable rubber hammers and more grown children trying to look gangster. And I listened to a lot of country songs!

And I sang one myself, have a look:

(Hair, verse 2 only)

If you would like to compare this to the original, there's a link to the video on the right.

After singing was finished (a lot of women before and a number of man after me) it seemed to take a long time until the next event, the square dancing, so we stepped out for a bit.
Back inside I found out in the meantime there had been some kind of award ceremony or something and apparently I won second place in the singing contest. I hadn't even realized it was a contest, but who cares, I won 200 bucks.
I should have known, every event in these festivities seems to be a contest and somehow about money. Longest jackfish: 10 grand. Second place singing: 200 bucks.

Here's my prize:

(my prize: two $100 bills inside)

Later on our 8-person square dancing team went on stage. Meanwhile a guy with a fiddle had joined the band, and he fiddled like the devil himself. Unfortunately (or luckily) I don't have a video of the dancing. (I might get my hands on one later though.)
It was kind of fun, jumping around in circles. A little exhausting, too. You never know if the band keeps playing until the dance routine is finished or if the group keeps dancing until the song is finished. Probably both.
However, that also was a contest. I went home shortly after the dancing, so I don't know, but perhaps our performance was impressive enough to win something! Then again: I don't think so.

But you never know.


In order to end this post on a positive note, here's the final chord of the live performance (it was filmed with a digital camera which had a certain minute limit to movie recording, therefore I ended up with several parts):


(Hair - final chord)

No comments: