Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Language Discoveries

Yesterday, while at work, I discovered the following:
In the English alphabet all letters have one syllable (a, b, c, d...), except "w" or "double-u", which has three. So what is so special about fancy-schmancy "W", that it has to stand out like that from its peers?
Then I looked further:
In the German alphabet all letters have one syllable also, except one, which is not "w", but in fact "y". This one the Germans call "Ypsilon" - kind of like "oops-ee-lon". So what makes this little letter "Y" so special, that it narcisistically boasts 3 syllables?
Again I looked further and I found:
In the French alphabet there are actually TWO letters that have more than one syllable, guess which ones: Yes, that's right, "w" and "y". Both of them!! "W" sports three syllables, sounds quite similar to "dooble-wa", while "Y" has two (sounds like "ee-gratt").

So what does all this mean? Is it a conspiracy of letters? Or is it just coincidence?
I don't think so.
I bet your ass when we look at Spanish and Italian for example, we will find more evidence!

But now for something completely different:
Today I learned a new word in Cree, which is quite awesome. When I mentioned this word while standing in line at the check-out it created much laughther and joy among all the people present. The word, if you say it, sounds quite like: "we-checkoway"

It can be used to insult people in a friendly way, because it means: Smelly testicles. Actually it seems to encompass a whole range of things from smelly testicles over stinky nuts all the way up to shitty balls.

Now I am going to combine that with the other Cree words I have learned so far:

Mushaway we-checkoway!
Ekosani.

Fucking smelly balls!
Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Cheryl Vaillant said...

You must be working alone in the marking room again...so much time to ponder these deep questions...what is the meaning of life?...How many syllables are there in each letter?

I love your growing "crew" vocabulary!

Anonymous said...

Me likey!


-Anne