Friday, April 1, 2011

Strawberry Season

It's that time of the year again!

They had this sale on strawberries this week at the store, 2 for 5. 2 containers, that is. So I went and quickly bought 15 bucks worth of strawberries.
Then, facing all these strawberries in my kitchen, I decided to bake a strawberry cake. After my mother's recipe, because those are always the best.

The result:

The cake is in the background (red top, brown middle, yellow bottom). The guy with the thumbs-up is me (green shirt, glasses, big smile).

How to do it:

Make 5-spoon-dough (to all you non-Europeans: please do use an actual tablespoon here, not that weirdo measuring device of yours. And please don't worry if the next spoonful has more or less than the one before, it is O.K.).

5 tablespoons of flour
5 tablespoons of sugar
5 tablespoons of oil
2.5 eggs
1 teaspoon of baking powder

(I actually doubled all these amounts for my cake, but that is your choice.)

Pour dough on a pan and bake until golden brown. I don't know, maybe 30 minutes or so.
In the meantime wash and cut the strawberries. Put them on the cake.
In a pot, stir together some glaze (store-bought) and spread on top.
That's it.

Mhh, delicious!

PS: I really really do like that advice about perceiving time differently. This can change your whole life. I mean, think about it: Time can't be wasted. It's is just an impossibility. What weight it takes off one's shoulder! What's now is now. Now is good. Future and past do not exist. I'd like to extend an olive branch to my past and those who are in it. Maybe we'll meet again, in the non-existing mind-constructed future. Then there'll be nothing but now. For real.
And yes, this is blog-posting time. Earlier was cake-making time. Later will be video-gaming time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cake looks really good! was it crunchy?

Anonymous said...

only on the edges