Sunday, July 11, 2010

Replay Your Memories

This is a screenshot of Jagged Alliance 2, a game that came out in the spring of 1999; and the game that cost me my second university semester. I played it all day and all of the night.

I tried to go back to it every now and then, but really, at least after 2003 or so a 640x480 based game became completely unplayable.

A few weeks ago I found out that some nerds have programmed a modification for the game, making it a bit more up-to-date, i.e. implementing higher resolution etc., so of course I had to try that out - did a little digging in the old-computer-crap-box, downloaded the mod, et voilá, once again I am liberating Arulco from its dictator.

That's how it works I guess; I often find myself tempted to buy a WII, just to see the latest Mario Galaxy game, just because I always remember how much fun I had with Mario on the Super Nintendo a thousand years ago.

PS: For those who'd like to try it, the 1.13 mod for JA2 can be found here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I discovered that high-res mod for JA2 last winter and played it a lot! I even had to force myself to delete it after 2 weeks to get my brain focused on work again.

JA2 is really addictive - even 11 years later!

Now I have to forget your post to not install JA2 again...

Mark said...

JA2 was a great game. In fact, all the similar tactics games (XCOM, etc) were quite good.

Related to this, have you checked out Xenonauts (www.xenonauts.com) yet? I'm excited.

BTW - This is Anne's brother.