Thursday, July 22, 2010

Toys

Because I work at the supermarket as a receiver I open boxes most of the time, I open boxes and I mark merchandise. Therefore I have a first hand view on what comes in, and sometimes I find myself pretty amazed by the variety and style of i.e. toys; more specifically: dolls and their houses.

I priced a dollhouse for 11" dolls (Barbies), a fold-able dollhouse with 3 rooms: Bedroom with closet and bed, living room with seating area and fireplace, and a kitchen with stove and fridge. So far, so good. Then I discovered additional accesories to this dollhouse, which are sold seperately. There are six accessories to the dollhouse, six extra "rooms" as follows: a piano, a garden setting (swingset), a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and another kitchen.
Assuming someone buys the whole set, some little girl would play a dollhouse with a garden, a piano room, a living room, a bathroom, two bedrooms and three kitchens.
I can see the purpose of an extra bedroom, but why have three kitchens?
I tell you why: the whole set-up serves the purpose of gently easing the young girl into her later roles as a woman, therefore maximising kitchen time and underlining the importance of bedroom time. If five out of nine rooms are either bedrooms or kitchens, that means more than half of the time will be spent there, cooking, cleaning, getting fucked.

By the way, toys for boys take a quite similar approach, for example by naming the realisting looking plastic assault rifles simply "self-defense weapon".

I better go and get myself a "secret mission knife". Peace.

No comments: