Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Potato-Pork-Sauerkraut-Casserole

Good evening,

it is still cold here! But nevermind that, much more important is this:

A few days ago I made an awesome mashed potato-pork-vegetable casserole with cheese on top. Luckily I had my camera close by and was in the mood to take pictures, so now we can re-live this extra-ordinary cooking-experience together once more.

At first of course you have to peel some potatoes, about 7 medium sized ones should do it.

Cut them into nice little pieces and put them on the stove to boil...

Time for the meat. I chose pork this time, tenderloin even, because for some reason it was only 9.90 per kg, good price, I bought about 475 g of it.

Cut it to your fancy, and then fry it up a bit.

I myself enjoy Montreal Steak Spice, so I use plenty of that.

While the potatoes are boiling and the meat is frying, we can take care of the other stuff: Grease the pan slightly with oil and bring out the vegetables and cheese...

...and the milk for the mashed potatoes, and a can opener...

And you'll see, just like that the meat will be all done (we don't want it dark or brown, just fried a little bit from all sides).

The potatoes should be ready by now, pour out the water, mash them up with a fork and mix in some milk and salt. Mine looked like this when I was done, not the smoothest in the world, but then again, I didn't really care.

Time to put a nice fine layer of potato mash into our casserole pan (use about 2/3 of your mashed potatoes). Then throw the fried meat on top.

Now the vegetables. Peas...

...and sauerkraut...

...then cover it with the rest of the mashed potatoes.
Well, originally right about now I would have put the cheese on, but there was still room in the casserole dish, and I was out of mashed potatoes because my potato pot is kind of smallish, so I decided (partly because I considered it a healthy choice) to throw some more veggies in.

That's right, green beans and corn. And of course, don't forget to put cheese on top.

The whole thing goes into the pre-heated oven (at 350, or 180-200 degrees C) for a while (until the cheese is nicely brown, about 20-25 minutes or so), in the meantime we can tidy up the kitchen and do the dishes.

Nice. Dishes done, kitchen clean, food ready. When you take it out of the oven, it should look something like this:

Let it sit for a few minutes, then use a sharp knife to cut it.

You can easily lift out a portion (portion shown fills me up if there's dessert, otherwise I need more. Two of these portions are a bit much. The whole pan probably easily serves 5, or one for 4 to 5 days).

Mhh, delicious. Enjoy.
Cover up the leftovers and put in fridge for tomorrow...

...because overnight it'll turn into nice and almost solid blocks perfect for re-heating in a microwave oven.

Very good.
(If you're no fan of sauerkraut (which, I must admit, can cause awesome activity inside of you if you're not used to it - in fact, it'll turn you're usually so silent and odourless farts into awesomely long and seconds-lasting-cracking-attention-seeking monster-explosions that come with a stink so disgustingly terrible, you'll be amazed at yourself for the ability to produce that kind of rotten smell), so, as I said, if you're no fan of sauerkraut, feel free to leave it out.)

2 comments:

Cheryl Vaillant said...

With that nice description of the "Awesome" farts I vote for leaving it out. Thought this blog did make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

one the other hand, farts like that can be very satisfying, in a sense of release of course, but also in a sense of great accomplishment. maybe you should reconsider and give the good old sauerkraut a try.