Friday, June 4, 2010

The 80's

I always hated 80's music.

But the truth is: I love 80's music. I know that now.

Today someone changed the radio station in the store from "The Pulse" to "70's on 7". The former sucks big time, they play the same shit-hit-songs all over again every hour. It is quarter after one and I'm a little drunk and I neeeed you nooooow.... or I aaaaalways tuuuurn the car around... or According to him! I am beautiful, magical.... Barf. I am probably the only one in the store who even notices, because on the floor the radio is merely background noise, with all the action going on nobody even really hears it. But I work in the marking behind a closed door by myself. I sit directly below the speakers. I notice, and I hate "The Pulse".
So I happily noticed someone changed it to the 70's station (which I sneakily had tried out the day before already; by moving into the office pretending to do something else and then quickly changing the station, hoping they are to busy to immediately notice). I sang along to Bohemian Rhapsody for a while, then I had to go outside and into the warehouse, and when I came back on the floor it happened: Instant happyness came over me. My usual friday afternoon fatigue disappeared. I walked using dance moves. Why?
Because in my absence somebody had not only turned up the music, no, somebody had actually changed it to the 80's station. Eternal Flame was playing! The Bangles!
I love the snares. Nothing like the snares in the late 80's and early 90's.
I instantly remembered GTA Vice City, and how I always enjoyed driving through Vice City in a fast car and running over innocent bystanders while Foreigner's Love Hurts was playing on the in-game radio. Same thing works nowadays with Phil Collins in GTA IV. 80's music makes great car-driving music. Nothing like shooting virtual people to an 80's ballad.

10 years ago I used to fuck to that kind of music.
Today I cook to it. (Aside from killing people.)

PS: In GTA San Andreas they had no good 80's station, so I always tuned into the Country station to run people over or shoot motorcycle drivers off their bikes. This way I became a Willie Nelson fan.

1 comment:

Astrid Rose said...

I've been binging on 80s music for two days now. It's great.