Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Off

Today I had a day off. Days off are always good for cooking things that need a little more time. So I made:

Eight Mini Calzones With Spinach & Feta,
served with fresh salad.

Here's how:

First you need a nice yeast dough. I make mine with about 600g of flour (half white, half whole wheat), a splash of oil, 1 egg and some soy milk). Once it had risen it looked like this:


While the dough was rising I prepared my other ingredients: 2 green and 1 red pepper, a can of pineapple tidbits, fresh mushrooms, spinach (I used frozen, but it works well with fresh spinach, too), olives and pizza sauce (I make mine with a small can of tomato paste, 1 big onion, some garlic and lots of salt, pepper and italian seasoning).
You may notice there's no feta cheese, that is because we live in BF. Feta just wasn't available at the store, so I decided to go without (I'm not the person who lets some feta decide what to cook).


The next step is to divide and shape the dough to 8 small balls.


The nice thing about yeast dough is that it doesn't stop rising. So I waited a bit before rolling it flat. I played videogames for an hour. That was fun, I actually stole a virtual subway train.


Then it was time to add the other ingredients, to fold it over and to place it on a greased pizza pan, like this:


Well, and then I did the same thing 7 times more:


The later ones usually have a tendency to have less stuff in them, because I often put too much into the first few. In the end I used up everything and the workspace was in need of a clean up. All this dough-on-flour-rolling is always such a messy business.


I cleaned it all up and did dishes, after that I quickly threw together this little salad.


In the meantime my calzones had risen quite a bit more...


...so I wrapped half of them in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. We are not 8 people after all, it'll take us two days alone to eat 4 of them.


One pan went into the freezer, the other into the oven (about 25 minutes at 375), and then it was time for supper. My wife's verdict: Great! Awesome! Delicious!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! looks delicious can't wait to try them - i made banana bread yesterday morning before Ms P was up and off to work.

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired!! Gonna try that too!!

Anne