Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Survivor Tale #12

It was time to vote somebody off. But who? The last remaining former Orange person had immunity (as did I), so we former Purple ones couldn't follow the original plan.
Looking back I realize that this was the moment where I should have acted, should have set something in motion. If I had played my cards well from this position of strength, later misfortune might have been avoided.
I suggested to vote off Stephanie to the boys, but they didn't want to do that. They said it'd better to get rid of Sugar first. I agreed. It must have been my high-flying-imminuty-state-of-mind that prevented my alarm bells from going off. Here's what I should have done: Go straight to Shambo and Sugar, ally with them against James or Stephanie, get Blondie to join in, too, and then try to get Amber onboard. The idea might have flashed my mind, but at the time I dismissed it.

There'll be plenty of time to do these things later, I said to myself.
I couldn't have been more wrong.

We sat down in a circle to vote, and without much surprise Sugar had to go. I didn't like it. It didn't feel right. I felt like one of those secondary movie-characters who rat out the hero and then later try to make amends. Only they usually get their ass kicked first.
Byebye awesome Kung-Fu-dude!

The game master gave us some time to rest before calling us to the next challenge. This one, by the way, was my least favourite challenge of the whole weekend. (This is probably because I sucked at it.)
The helpers had painted a big square in the sand. Placed inside were 7 rows of 4 little packages each. Every package consisted of 4 pieces of wood, tied to together with some string, the ends of that tied to loops.
All players received a piece of rope with a metal hook. The task was to use the rope-with-hook to fish for the packages and drag them out of the square. After sucessfully retrieving all 4 of them, the player was allowed to open the packages and sort the wooden pieces (which had letters written on them) into a phrase.
Whoever shouted out the solution first, won the game.

And go! I swung my hook, but the fucker didn't wanna catch the fucking loop. By the time I finally managed to drag my first package home, Amber and Stephanie both had 2 already. I just couldn't figure out the right way to do this in time, I tried throwing the hook, slamming it down, wiggling it; I tried going to far and then pulling it back, but it was all basically useless. Everybody was catching packages all over the place, only mine didn't wanna bite.
Finally I managed to get package number 2, and I was just throwing my rope out again for number 3, when I heard the game-master: Amber has all her packages!
Awesome.
5 seconds later it was all over, Amber had solved the puzzle.
The solution was "Individual Immunity".
How ironic.

An unusual long time elapsed before the next vote took place. I had tiny voices in my head, telling me to do something, but I didn't listen to them. After all it was Orange's turn now, wasn't it? I could trust the boys that far, couldn't I? That big quiet bearded dude James, who gave everybody raspberries every morning. The shorter J.T. with his belly, always so friendly, he wouldn't hurt a fly. No, they were good boys. I wasn't so sure about Stephanie, but then again pretty convinced I had nothing to fear from Shambo. And Amber? That could go either way.
I had another beer and came to the conclusion that I had a decent chance to get lucky this time: Orange girl would be voted off, and then after the next challenge it'd be time for some serious action.

The game master called us over.
It was voting time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh no what happens next?!

be careful ethan! there are dark powers at work, how the germans would say... listen to the tiny voices, ethan, listen to them, will ya?!!