Friday, October 23, 2009

Simulated Bacon Books

Simulated bacon bits have a tendency to loose their color, and if you put them in a meal, they will also gradually lose their flavour (unlike real bacon, which gives its flavor to the meal). Related to that: I made green bean soup yesterday for today (no cooking today because of switched off water). And can you believe it, for some reason I forgot to add broth. And there I sit wondering why the soup has such a plain and sober taste... unbelievable. Forgetting the broth. I've added it now, but I'm afraid now it's too much.
I've read some books in the last few weeks. First I read through the whole Harry Potter series once again. That's always fun. Then the latest Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol. Well, what can I say, it's like The Da Vinci Code all over again, only in Washington, quite unsurprising, yet entertaining. At one point I was really impressed with the author, thinking that he has brought up the courage to SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD kill off a very important person, only to discover that he hasn't. Quite disappointing that, just like the revealment in the end of what the Lost Symbol really is. Apart from that it's a nice book for some light reading.
After that I read a way better book: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. Swedish guy with a talent to create interesting and believable characters. The book is basically a mystery, set in Sweden, and the plot not in the least feels as constructed as many others. While you keep reading a Dan Brown to prove that you anticipated correctly, you keep reading Larsson to see where he's gonna take you next, and because you have to know what will happen to the characters and how they'll react.
I really like reading a Swedish author again, all the Gatans and Kronors remind me of reading the Wallander series, which I very much enjoyed.
Right now I'm reading the second part, The Girl Who Played With Fire. It picks up about a year after the happenings in part one and as of right now (I'm 60 pages in) is just as good as its predecessor.
My mother has also send me a book in my native language, but I'm gonna save that one for Christmas and read it under the Christmas tree. (I wonder if they do Christmas trees here in Bumfuck. I sincerely hope I won't have to go into the woods and cut one down myself.)

No comments: