Monday, February 22, 2010

Die Hardest

I just saw an interview with Bruce Willis, he said they may make Die Hard 5 next year.
So far, that's good. I'm totally game for another John McLane movie. Just don't let Len Wiseman anywhere near it. Let McTiernan do it.

On a more disappointing note Bruce Willis also said that he would hire Wiseman again, and that going "worldwide" would be the thing to do.
Personally I think an actor could be a little more thankful towards the character that made him fuckloads of cash. I think Bruce Willis just lost 3 points on my finger scale.

On the other hand he's right saying it's all just illusion anyway, so why give a fuck?

Sometimes I question all the entertainment we consume: more or less senseless books, novels, games, shows, movies, songs, symphonies, plays etc - it just keeps our minds busy so we don't go crazy. Despite what Marx said, you can't work all the time. But you can't fuck, eat or sleep all the time either, there's still day left. Ideally we would have to be creating things whenever we can, something that lasts. Or would we? Why create something, if no one cares to consume it?
That reminds me of Jean Luc Picard, another fictional character, who believes we could always just "better ourselves". It's probably easier if you're part of a rank-based military organisation, though. It's probably easiest if you're not real.
So we extract meaning from what doesn't exist, and we pay money for what doesn't exist, and give time for what doesn't exist, and we gladly overlook the fact that the nice music we listen to is nothing but noise.
And what it does for us is all individually different. Or at least it's supposed to be (or is it?), usually it is more mass-reception-streamlined. Good thing everybody buys big fucking tv's to bring some meaning to their lives.
Uh oh, I don't really wanna go there. Next would be the apparent need for story.

I still like watching 24, I particularily enjoy how skillfully I am manipulated. It even works when blatantly obvious.

Finally: Yes, it's also okay to make Indy 5. And yes, it's gonna suck the big hard one. And yes, people are gonna pay to see it anyway. And yes, I'll be one of them.

It fills the gaps so nicely between eating, fucking, sleeping and working.

1 comment:

Astrid Rose said...

hahaha. it does fill the gaps. although, I could work a little harder and a little more, instead of filling all my gaps with the internet.