Thursday, May 27, 2010

Popular Culture

One:
Today in the morning right before breakfast as usual I turned on Radio Eins, and they played Joan Baez's Diamonds & Rust. Of course I didn't know that, I had never heard this song before. The radio threw me in right at that bridge before she sings about not being nostalgic, and I magically had to remain without moving where I was until the song was over, and then I shh'd my wife who was saying something in the background because I was hoping the radio guy would please let me know the title or singer of this song.
They did and I was quite surprised, because the song didn't sound like 1975 to me at all.
A bit of googling later I found this on youtube, and I'm listening to it all the time.

Two:
After eight seasons of 24 the show is finally over, although appearantly a movie will be made. They aired the last two episodes last monday, and in my opinion they ended it quite nicely. Season eight had been highly anticipated by me, and apart from the first few episodes I was quite disappointed with it. But then suddenly, from episode 15 on (which also might mark the time when the producers found out they won't be making a ninth season) the show turned itself around and became good again. So if you ever find yourself watching all 8 seasons in a row (Average 43 minutes x 24 x 8 + 90 minutes season 7 prequel = almost 140 hours. If you sleep less than 5 hours a night you might be able to do it in a week), you will only have to drag yourself through the imho a little dull season 6 (being repaid by a quite exciting season 7), and through some quite over-written 12 or so episodes of season 8 (it was great fun to see Jürgen Prochnow by the way), all the rest is awesome entertainment material and well worth watching. Especially season one. And two. Three, too, especially the second half. And four and five. Six, yes. Seven. Eight.
Goodbye, Jack Bauer. See you on the big screen.

Three:
Deus, a Belgian band that I hold in high esteem, have made a song called Popular Culture. It's no new Instant Street, but still cool. You find it on their album Vantage Point (2008). Unfortunatly I wasn't able to find it on youtube, so you have to go with Via (from their first album) instead.

No comments: