Monday, September 28, 2009

Basterds

Inglorious Basterds is a very crude movie. It feels like Kill Bill all over again, only less round and more like a Western (set in Nazi-France). It's very violent and could IMHO have done without some of the gory scenes. Sometimes the movie feels a little slow, maybe because of all the Tarantino-esk dialogue, but then the dialogue is one essential reason why Basterds is worth watching. The other is the cinematography: angles, tracking, Riefenstahl quoting etc, and the score, the music, the on-screen fonts - the whole mix that makes for the overall crudeness of the movie, which is both a pro and con. The story is alright, it ignores every single historical fact and takes us whereever Tarantino wants to go, which makes for a nice ride. I liked Kill Bill better, but Basterds is a movie that works. Expactions fulfilled. Oh, I really liked Brad Pitt's performance. He must have had a lot of fun shooting this. And Bela B's got a tiny role, too (but I watched it in a Canadian cinema, nobody understood my outcry of sudden excitement: It's Bela!!! Oh right, you don't know him...nevermind).
I bought some books at the local used book store, which is way to expensive. But since I had saved a lot of money earlier when I bought a pair of on-sale jeans (Levis, 20 bucks) I didn't care and spent 17 bucks on books (more light reading for the winter). I still could use some real literature, though. My new jeans fit almost perfectly, for 100% fit I would need a 31-34, and they don't make that size here. So I had to settle for a 32-34 instead.

No comments: