Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cake & Red Wine. And Cheese.

It's my wife's birthday today.
That means: Cake!
And red wine.
Awesome.

And cheeses. And I don't mean cheddar or mozarella, which sometimes seem to be the only varieties of cheese in this country (not counting mozzacheddar and other Kraft products), I mean cheeses with actual names and different flavours.
Unfortunately I can't remember the names, but apparantly they are English cheeses, with names I don't know how to write, but pronounced like "glooster" or something. Actually there are two which sound kind of like that, one kind of pale colorwise, the other more golden and perhaps called "brooster" or so, and some very mild sheep cheese, and some very strong and very yellow cheese... Fortunately these delicacies were "imported" by a friend of ours, and even better, these cheeses go very well with red wine. Weirdly people from this country seem to enjoy their cheese with things like crackers and stuff called Chutney or something, which is okay, I would prefer dark bread, but we're out of dark bread.
I just replace the bread with more wine.

Cheese really is something. I remember when I was little and the "relatives" from the other side of the Iron Curtain were visiting, my grandparents would always dish up a great big cheese plate: A wooden rotating plate with a handle-knob in the middle, around which was sitting a great variety of cheeses (imported, too, for the most part).
Back then I didn't enjoy cheese, but I do now.
Back then I didn't drink wine either.


Update:
I found out 3 cheese names: Double Gloucester, Lancashire and Applewood. And Gouda.

No comments: