Thursday, January 28, 2010

New Work Time Activity

Today my field of duties at work expanded: I was introduced to a new activity, called price audit. Basically they had me walking the isles with a bar code reader checking if the prices on the items are still correct.
Probably a very useful activity.
Later I transferred stuff into the outside warehouse: a mattress, some patio folding chair & table sets. The path to the warehouse was half snowed in, so I couldn't cart the stuff all the way and had to carry it the last bit. Doing that I managed to, attention please, break my glasses.
Exactly.
No reason to panic!
It's not the glass parts that are broken, just the frame. Or more specifically: The leftside temple snapped right off. Probably caused by fatigue of material caused by continued exposure to severe below zero temperatures.
It's what can happen when you lift heavy boxes in snowy conditions: Hoist up box, maintain a good grip, lose that grip, shift box for better grip & on the frozen ground lose footing for a second, have box hit side of face, hear a crack!, have everything going out of focus, realize glasses must have fallen off, set box down, find pieces, examine damage, say FUCK!, put temple in pocket, put glasses on nose, find they stay there, finish the job, go inside, re-examine damage, use tape to fix it temporarily.
Now I've got to find a way to get the next bigger town (3 hour drive) and see a professional, maybe they can fix it, or maybe I'll have to buy new glasses.
The downsides of living in places like bumfuck: Things are not just around the corner.

1 comment:

Astrid Rose said...

I once wore my glasses duck-taped together...for a year. I just put the tape on both sides, so it looked like it was supposed to be there.