Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Isn't It Satisfactory To Go Home After A Day's Work?

Reading yesterday's post about boxes makes me feel like Mr. Complainy-Pants somehow. Must be my nationality. They say a tendency for whining without proper reason is imbibed from infancy in my country. Or is it? Maybe I'm making this up.
However, opening boxes can be a very satisfiying spare-time activity. I was about to give reasons for that, but I'll just skip that part.

I've finished reading some more books:
The Angel's Game, by the guy who wrote The Shadow of the Wind.
That is a fine novel. It's epic, rich, well written and, most importantly, magical. It is also fast paced. It is dark & sinister, and features for example early 20th century psychiatric-wards, lots of blood, lots of love, cemeteries and tower houses, books and writers, sickness & cure, life and death. On top of that is has a lot of WTF moments, which I find most entertaining.
I suggest: Read this book.

The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.
A differerent novel, weirdly different at first, but then refreshing. A story awesomely executed in the given set-up. I would also recommend this book to anyone. The title, I may add, is also well chosen. Had it been only "The Time Traveller", it would have been misleading, since this novel doesn't center on time travelling in the usual science-fictiony way, but is in fact a love story heavily impacted by time travel. Good book.
The movie is quite good, too, but it is advisable to read the book. The film works fine, but it condenses the material, therefore you'll only get half-the picture (which of course you won't notice, if you never read the book).

No comments: