Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Little Oil In The Social Machinery

Unexpected days off are nice.
A bit boring, too. But nice.
No boxes for me on the truck today, unbelievable. "C'est impossible!" my boss said. I guess all the boxes are gonna be on friday's truck. So I'll probably work the weekend.

When you work, so it seems to me, people treat you slightly different. It's as if in every short conversation, hello or other small talk they're eradiating a subtle idea of approving smile. Or perhaps I'm just noticing the absence of disapproval of my former life as a non-working house husband. Or maybe it's me emanating a message to them, saying: Hey, it's me, I work, I'm like you, we're the same! You don't have to be afraid, I won't do you any harm! I'm normal!
And if the person I'm talking to doesn't have a job, the subconscious message is probably: Look, I work, you don't, why don't you get a job, you loser, I'm better than you! What, you don't have a job on purpose? Stop making excuses, you lazy fucker!
I'm exaggerating I hope. Society is weird.

2 comments:

Astrid Rose said...

I think house husbands are awesome.

Unknown said...

It's all in the perception!! You are so right.