Monday, January 4, 2010

This Year's Third Post : "Pope Joan"

I've finished reading another book from the Christmas Pile. "Pope Joan" by Donna Woolfolk Cross. Apparantly this novel has just been made into a movie last year*, that might be a reason why I've found it under the Christmas Tree (the book came out in 1996 already).
Of course it is about a woman who ends up being pope. In the ninth century. Nice piece out of the 'Historical Fiction' Genre. Or did it really happen? Was there really a female pope once?
I don't see why not, especially after reading this novel. Nothing bad to say about it, really. Nice story, good characters, it works. If you have nothing to do, read it. Can't hurt.

I will now proceed to "The Time Traveller's Wife", which also has been made into a movie last year.
Coincidence? Happenstance?

*I just found out: Last year's movie is actually not the first flick about our female pope. They have brought the story to the screen once already back in 1972. Is it any good? Regarding that question I'd like to quote from IMDB:

"Because this film was such a disaster, I do not see any film maker daring to touch this subject again. So we can therefore regard this film as an opportunity well and truly wasted."

Well, somebody dared. Let's hope the new movie does better.

No comments: