Saturday, January 30, 2010

Today, Life Is Good

Today, potatoes boiling on the stove, green beans ready to go in, bacon cut up, loud music playing in the background (Tocotronic), I went to the window and stood there for a moment, looking out over the white white snow a foot or so high, watching the occasional car pass by, noticing the guard guy from across the parking lot stepping out for a smoke, and I thought: Right now, life is good.
That reminded me of Boromir in the flashback scene in Return of the King, and how he said something like that to his brother, and how everybody was cheering and happy. It occured to me a moment later that that was just before he himself set out on a path which finally would lead to his death.
So I then changed my music to "Be my baby"* by Vanessa Paradis, a song I've liked since I was 14 years old (probably because of the video, in which Vanessa hangs out with not a lot of clothes on in and around an empty swimming pool with lots of autumny leaves everywhere). Singing along to it and with a certain spring in my step I danced back to my cooking and forgot all about it until I remembered it again just now.

*It's a real shame that the well respected and formidable Punk band Pulloverkleid Girls has never done a cover version of this tune.

2 comments:

Astrid Rose said...

You forgot the part where I called.

Brato said...

No I deliberately left it out.