Thursday, June 4, 2009

Frozen Pizza & Other Bargains

Frozen Pizza:
Two or three days ago I found frozen pizzas (485 g) for 2.99 each plus tax. Oh baby, I thought, frozen pizzas! This week's food-hunting is done! There was even a woman with a little grill sitting next to the frozen pizzas, offering pieces to costumers. I grabbed 5 pizzas, one Veggie, one Salami, one Hawaii, one Cheeseburger, one Deluxe. They come wrapped in plastic, with some circle-shaped cardboard below for stability. Here's what happened then:
1. The checkout guy charged me 3.99 per pizza. Fucker. Humble as I am I went back to the Lady to confirm 2.99. Then I confronted the checkout guy. He instantly turned mute and it took him a felt eternity to scribble here and there and type cryptic numbers into his machine (the line of costumers waiting for service grew longer and longer). Meanwhile I tried a bottle of orange vitamin-enriched water I had also bought, for reasons that are now hardly reconstructable. I almost barfed. The costumers exchanged glances. I felt uncomfortable and strangely out of place. Then the guy turned around. Without a word he handed my 5 bucks. I quickly left the store.
2. Back home I was hungry, so I put the Deluxe into the oven and then busied myself with other things. Of course time flew by and I burned the pizza, but I bravely ate the dark brown frisbee. The flavour was alright.
3. The next day I hate the Veggie, which tasted exactly the same. Later I also ate the one with salami, which tasted exactly the same.
4. Today I ate the Hawaii. I chose it because reading Cheeseburger on the other one made me feel a little, uhm, suspicious. It was not the time for adventure or experiment. The Hawaii by the way tasted exactly like the other ones.
5. Tomorrow or later today I will eat the Cheeseburger. I now feel more confident about it, because I can safely conclude that the probability of acceptable flavour is quite high. I expect it to taste just like the other ones.

First Conclusions from all this:
1. Always check your receipts.
2. Make your own food from scratch. Reasons: a) It tastes better. b) You'll live longer.

Other Bargains:
None, really. I got myself a new razor. Mach 3 Turbo*. Paid 12 bucks for it. Could have picked the Sensor Excel, but the mid-nineties design and only two blades kind of dissuaded me. Could have picked the Mach 3, but why go without the Turbo if it's only 1 buck more?
Dispite the kind of anachronistic late-nineties-design I feel like I can drive this thing. Or fly to the moon with it. Also back in the day my first razor was a Mach 3. I'm older now, I do the Turbo now. Man, life is great.

*extra blades included: 2

3 comments:

Astrid Rose said...

Brato: you are a hero. And I'm now craving frozen pizza.

Astrid Rose said...

Also, i feel like i need to hire you to make my blog look cooler. yours looks really cool. way cooler than mine. you are out cooling me. this is uncool.

Brato said...

nothing can top your blog. it's in simplicity where the real coolness lies. I don't have the power to see it through. you do. you're stronger than I am. I am full of doubt all the time and waste precious lifetime on color schemes and picture editing. I should hire you to learn not to care.
must be my father. his asparagus rows always had to be picture perfect, too. I wasted precious lifetime there already! help me - I am trapped in a circle of devilish proportions!