Thursday, July 16, 2009

Insects, Burgers and Religion

On rainy days the high speed internet, which is more like moderate speed here, becomes low speed or breaks down completely. As it did yesterday. That's why I'm asking the following question today: What kind of insect is this?

It can be found sitting motionless on doorframes or windowpanes. When I went outside at 1 AM sunday night, I found a a great number of them piled up outside, ankle-deep against the front door. Very weird.
(Also present were those little greenish-looking see-through flies, which back in the day I used to kill with deodorant spray. On this continent however they seem to be bigger.)

About food: On tuesday I made burgers. They received a rating unheard of so far: Five levels of awesomeness!
Wow. That's something. We ate them with whole wheat buns, potato wedges and the usual condiments: ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, mozarella cheese.

Another thing: We were given the book God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens. It's nice to read something that backs one's own opinion with prudently researched evidence. On the other hand becoming aware of what religion really means and does (as opposed to just somehow knowing or suspecting it) also makes one quite angry. I am now even more convinced that the human race will achieve enlightenment only after fully completely overcoming all religion.*

*I've decided not to include my own rant about the blatant stupidity of religion. To those who are interested I'd like to suggest Christopher Hitchen's book instead.

2 comments:

Astrid Rose said...

I'm pretty sure that's a "tropicus brain-suckubus" bug. It will stab you in the eye and suck out your brains while you do boring things...like cleaning toilets and folding underwear.

Unknown said...

I think its a mayfly - they hatch out in large numbers and the fish love them - Mr Delicious 2?