Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pippi Longstocking & Spunk

I don't know what the hell came over me to watch the English dubbed version of Pippi Langstrump aka Pippi Longstocking, a Swedish movie made in 1969 after the children books of Astrid Lindgren. I had last seen it (dubbed German) as a kid, when I was 8 perhaps. I remember I quite enjoyed it, and the sequels, too.
Watching carefree Pippi lifting up her horse, climbing rooftops and flying in a balloon with her friends Tommy and Annika again as a grown-up however isn't nearly as much fun. That might largely be because of the English dubbing, though. Remember when Pippi invents a new word? Well, in the English version the word is SPUNK. Yes. Spunk. Kind of funny when Pippi asks the store clerk if he's selling a spunk, or when she shows up at the kindergartener's house looking for the spunk. So either back in 1973 (the year they dubbed it) the word spunk hadn't yet entered into everyday's slang vocabulary, or the dubbing people were on crack. I think they were, because they also must have been hallucinating when they picked a person who can't seem to hold a note to sing the theme-song.
Am I a bad person because I made my wife suffer through it? I thought I'd show here what I liked as a child. Emphasis on liked and as a child.
Well, well. I think we'll watch part 2 soon, too.

Last tuesday we gave all the cookies I had made away to the guys who took us fishing. A thank-you-thing. So my wife kept bugging me and bugging me to make new cookies. Even my cake experiment didn't put her off. So I finally made new cookies today. They look just like the ones I made before, so no new picture. The cookies are: Sooooooo goooooooood!
Mr. Delicious however deserves a picture. We ate what was left of him today. Rating: An awesome meal!

Went running, too. Yesterday, too. Tomorrow? Maybe.
Oh, I rewatched Terminator 3 last week. And I don't think it's under-appreciated or something. It still sucks. The whole TX-can-control-other-machines-thing just doesn't make sense. But I am looking forward to Jonathan Mostow's new project: Surrogates. With Bruce Willis. In theatres in september.
Oh, right. I forgot. I'm in bf-nowhere. There is no cinema. Well, in the grand scheme of things, that is probably good for something.
Whatever that may be.

2 comments:

StB said...

I always loved SPUNK! That was my favorite Pipi-word, even as a kid.

Appetently there are all kinds of English meanings for the word, but there's none in German (or Schwedish, I guess). So it was just bad dubbing on the American side.

Astrid Rose said...

If I was a dubber, I would totally do that all the time, as much as possible.