Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Meet Mr. Lunch

Ladies and Gentlemen,
meet Lunch. Mr. Lunch, that is. I caught him yesterday and he looked like this:
Then I carried him home in a plastic bag, every now and then he was twitching, so I said: "It's okay, fish, I know, I know. It's okay." When I finally put him on the counter in my kitchen, he was still alive, his gills were still trying to get him some oxygen. I hadn't expected that, it made me a little hesitant. But what could I do: I took a knife, and remembering the instructions another fisherman had given me, I grabbed hold of Mr. Lunch (which proved to be more difficult than one would think, those fish are very slippery) and cut him close to his front fins in order to remove the head. Well, that didn't do the trick, so in the end I rammed the knife behind his gills and sawed away at whatever was there until the head came off. A whole bunch of guts flowed out of the fish. I cut open his belly and removed his rectum and the one long thingy that connected his asshole with the rest of the guts. After that I started working on getting the meat out. When I was finished with him, Mr. Lunch looked like this:I managed to get 3 of his 4 fillet stripes out intact, and kind of messed up with the 4th one. It was my first time filleting a fish after all. I put the meat into the freezer overnight, and today I cooked it. Here's Mr. Lunch on a plate:What an experience. I felt kind of bad for killing a living creature, and I had a hard time falling asleep last night, because I kept seeing Mr. Lunch's severed head swimming in his guts, and his one glazed eye staring at me accusingly. But such things pass. I think I'll go fishing tonight again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying fishing - nice fish - i see what the pickeral rig looks like - cool!!